Sunday, February 28, 2010

Pop Century


I wasn't expecting much; I figured it would be clean, reasonable, and without too many frills. Boy, was I right. We had come to expect certain amenities: in-room coffee-maker, Internet, refrigerator (for my drugs). None of that here. Well, they did have Internet, for a steep fee. I kept my drugs in my insulated lunchbox with ice. For coffee, off to the cafeteria. It was a basic, bed-shower-TV motel, with a vague 80's motif: wall art and linen had images of old toys and movies and such. The complex is divided in to decades: 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. We had a huge Mickey Mouse phone outside our room; opposite was a giant Big Wheels trike. Under construction between was a super-sized foos-ball court. One of the three pools was shaped like a computer (in the 90s section). I was not too impressed, but then I must maintain my cynical air at all times.

The cafeteria was bleah. It was basically a food court, with uninspiring selections at a high price (surprise!). I watched them make an omlette from fresh eggs, and it still was bland and rubbery. The bacon cheeseburger wasn't up to McDonald's standards. And so on. And the stupid drinks-- go and figure out the stupid coffee dispenser. Nothing at Disney, I exclaimed in frustration, can be simple: not content with just a nozzle with a flip-handle, it has to be some pressure-driven thing where the delivery lags the handle by a few seconds. Flip-- nothing. Flip-- nothing. Flip and hold, hold, hold: finally it starts pouring. Let go: it's still pouring! Arrrgh!

We did the Magic Kingdom; due to the season and the weather, it wasn't too busy and we didn't have any monster lines. We don't do the thrill rides, so the Haunted Mansion and Small World got our business. We were in line with a British family; I'll bet they were happy to get out of the soggy United Kingdom to Sunny Florida!

The drive home was uneventful (we stage from Jacksonville and do the rest in one shot, getting home at about 3:00AM), although again it rained most of the way. The next day, Memorial Day, was actually nice and I was able to cut the grass. Yahoo. Altogether, a fairly disappointing trip. So, we went back again!

No comments: