Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Hal Ewing, 1930-2010

My post for March 02, 2010, "Florida, Take Two" told of our second 2009 vacation. I spoke of how old my Uncle Hal seemed. He passed away on Sunday, May 23, 2010, eight months after we last saw him in October 2009. Harold J. Ewing was born on July 26, 1930, and was 79 when he died. He faded physically in his last weeks, I'm told, but was still mentally alert. There was enough time to gather his immediate family and they were at his side when he passed.

A memorial service was held the next Saturday, May 29th, and Sue and I were able to attend; we took that Friday off and drove down, leaving Thursday evening as usual. It was Memorial Day weekend, which gave us enough time for the trip. The ceremony was at the church of one of Hal's daughters. It was informal, with some prayer and then the family and friends eulogizing him. He was well-loved and regarded, and I think would have appreciated the laughter which the anecdotes from friends, family and co-workers elicited.

Afterwards, the family and some guests went to a Cuban restaurant, one of his favorites, and had lunch.

No comments: